Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) Points Test Stream

This Australian skilled migration pathway is the most famous and the most controversial.

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) Points Test Stream

This Australian skilled migration pathway is the most famous and the most controversial. Anyone who is interested in migrating to Australia is aware of this visa pathway. This visa is designed for applicants who can meet certain strict age, education, professional employment, and English proficiency requirements.
To apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189), applicants usually need an appropriate strategic plan and prompt actions. The typical procedure shows as following:

1. Apply for a skill assessment to know which skilled occupation you need to nominate. This occupation is the key to your application for this pathway.


2. Applicants need to enter the point test system by creating an EOI (expression of interest) account on the Skillselect system.


3. Your EOI account will stay valid for two years, and you will be competing with other applicants who have been nominated for the same occupations. This system will issue invitations each month to the most competitive candidates. Typically, applicants who have higher points will be invited sooner. The sooner you enter the points system for applicants on the same points with the same occupation, the sooner you will receive the invitation.


4. You are invited by Skillselect. Applicants will have 60 days to lodge the 189 visa application formally.


5. The 189 visa is granted.

Step 3 is usually the most challenging part for most applicants, as the point test system is dynamic and full of changes. The points for the same occupations can change significantly on each invitation round, and the points for different occupations vary. Thus, choosing the right application time and correct occupations is the key to beat the competition.
EZOZ Migration is an expert on this system. Our large number of 189-visa clients gives us sufficient data and information. We can make an accurate analysis of how many points you will need to receive an invitation. We also advise you on the strategic EOI application timing to stay competitive and receive the invitation sooner!

Come and book a free 15-minute tailored consultation with EZOZ Migration today. We will make you a unique 189-application plan at no cost!

If you have an enquiry that relates to a particular visa:


Visitor visa (subclass 600)

Tourist stream (apply outside Australia)

This visa stream lets you visit Australia as a tourist, to go on a cruise or to see family and friends.


Up to 12 months


From AUD145

Processing Time

About this visa

Travel to Australia:

  • as a tourist – for example, to cruise or have a holiday
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.

Note: Applicants who are seeking to train at a childcare centre, study to be a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic or enter health care or hospital environments should apply for the Visitor (subclass 600) visa and complete the relevant health checks.


You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia – that is, we do not consider you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if we consider your cruise to be a round trip cruise.

Business visitor

As a business visitor, you can:

  • make general business or employment enquiries
  • investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract
  • conduct activities as part of an official government visit
  • take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar. The organisers can’t pay you to take part

You can’t:

  • work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia
  • sell goods or services directly to the public

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn’t a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa.

This is a temporary visa. We grant it for 12 months. You can enter Australia any time your eVisitor is valid and stay for up to 3 months at a time.

The eVisitor is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while it is valid.

The eVisitor starts on the date it is granted.

You can’t stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. You must apply for another visa.

If you want to have a further short stay or stay longer for a holiday you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply in Australia).

If you want to stay longer for other reasons, you should be able to apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances.

You can’t include family members in your application. A separate application must be made for each member of your family, including those listed on your passport.
The eVisitor is free.
You must be outside Australia when you apply. Do not arrange to travel to Australia until we let you know, in writing, that we have granted you the subclass 651 visa. You must be outside Australia when we decide on your application.

We process 90% of applications in 10 months

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you don’t fill it in correctly
  • you don’t include all the documents we need or we need more information from you
  • it takes us time to verify your information
You must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

We recommend you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Insurance can help limit your financial liability.

See what we consider adequate health insurance.

Learn more about health insurance for overseas visitors.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from Services Australia about reciprocal healthcare agreements.

You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the eVisitor is valid.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.​​


You can apply for an ETA if you hold a passport from:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom – British Citizen
  • Vatican City

You cannot apply with:

  • a non-citizen passport, certificate of identity or other travel document
  • a British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject passport
You must meet our health requirement.
You must meet our character requirement. If you have a criminal conviction in any country, apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) instead. If you arrive in Australia on an eVisitor with a criminal conviction, you might be refused entry.
If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

You must only intend to:

  • stay temporarily in Australia
  • obey any condition and stay period attached to your visa

You must have enough money to:

  • support yourself while you are in Australia
  • leave Australia at the end of your stay
We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

Step By Step

When you have this visa

Visitor Visa Australia All Subclass

Ready for your visa assessment?